Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006
Today I took the trusty camera out to document life. And document life I did.
Standing at the subway stop, waiting for a train at 7:59 am, I heard workers yelling in Spanish from the top of a local supermarket. They were working. I tried to capture the shot of the construction workers axe falling:

These small fishing shacks sit on rotting piers on Jamaica Bay. I always wanted to photograph them, but they can only be seen from the train. For some reason, the train stopped at the right spot and waited a few minutes. I opened the subway window and stole this shot:

After work I went on a little excursion along the East River. Behold the mighty Brooklyn Bridge. A German tourist stands in the foreground, having his photo taken:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found an actual 'beach' on the Manhattan side of the East River. No swimming allowed though. The East River has very strong currents - currents that will suck you under and spit your bloated corpse out two weeks later. But still, a beach, in Manhattan. Wow. (Note the Manhattan Bridge in the background):

And with all bridges come bums. I took this photo while this gentleman was asleep:

As I made my way up the lower east side I began to run into the southern outskirts of Chinatown, where the street signs are in English and Chinese:

All of a sudden it's like you are in a wholly different Chinese world - just blocks from a bustling American downtown. It really is a Chinese town. You can't argue with that as these three photos attest.
A family gathers on a stoop on Henry Street:

Chefs battle small fires in their hot kitchen:

What's for lunch? Dead birds!

On the way home I got another photo of Jamaica Bay, this time of a sun setting. This is an incredible city!:

Standing at the subway stop, waiting for a train at 7:59 am, I heard workers yelling in Spanish from the top of a local supermarket. They were working. I tried to capture the shot of the construction workers axe falling:

These small fishing shacks sit on rotting piers on Jamaica Bay. I always wanted to photograph them, but they can only be seen from the train. For some reason, the train stopped at the right spot and waited a few minutes. I opened the subway window and stole this shot:

After work I went on a little excursion along the East River. Behold the mighty Brooklyn Bridge. A German tourist stands in the foreground, having his photo taken:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found an actual 'beach' on the Manhattan side of the East River. No swimming allowed though. The East River has very strong currents - currents that will suck you under and spit your bloated corpse out two weeks later. But still, a beach, in Manhattan. Wow. (Note the Manhattan Bridge in the background):

And with all bridges come bums. I took this photo while this gentleman was asleep:

As I made my way up the lower east side I began to run into the southern outskirts of Chinatown, where the street signs are in English and Chinese:

All of a sudden it's like you are in a wholly different Chinese world - just blocks from a bustling American downtown. It really is a Chinese town. You can't argue with that as these three photos attest.
A family gathers on a stoop on Henry Street:

Chefs battle small fires in their hot kitchen:

What's for lunch? Dead birds!

On the way home I got another photo of Jamaica Bay, this time of a sun setting. This is an incredible city!:

Comments:
<< Home
I wonder about that beach, are they using it in summer (sunbathing at least)?
Was the drunk under the biridge? I just read that somewhere under the NYC bridges are the real bum communities, homes and everything... Wanna try next time ;)?
Was the drunk under the biridge? I just read that somewhere under the NYC bridges are the real bum communities, homes and everything... Wanna try next time ;)?
I don't think you can use the beach. I actually wanted to walk on it - but it was fenced off.
As I said, the East River is very dangerous. Plus the beach is under a bridge. Not a place to sunbathe.
Post a Comment
As I said, the East River is very dangerous. Plus the beach is under a bridge. Not a place to sunbathe.
<< Home

